Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Final thoughts

Well, folks, the day is almost upon us. 72 hours from now, I'll be on a flight to Manila. The last few days have been busy ones. Over the weekend, I started shopping for everything I'll need (memory card for my camera, new charger for my phone and of course, oodles of mosquito repellent). I check my tickets each day to make sure I haven't lost them, and go over the checklist to make sure there isn't something I missed.

Over the weekend the team and I went to the Northeast Link, where we met with GSE teams headed to Thailand, Poland, and the Philippines (other than us). We also learned about what's expected of us and got some tips on how to make the trip less stressful and more enjoyable. We even got to don our stylish Rotary uniforms (as it turns out we were the only ones to do that. But hey, we looked fab!).

It's Tuesday night, and I'm going to start packing for the trip. I've got a new suitcase courtesy of my mother (thanks, Mom!), plus a second one borrowed from my brother (hmmmm, something borrowed, something new....). I don't think it's hit me yet what's about to happen. I just put this week's edition of the Billerica Minuteman (the paper I write for and edit) to bed, and I find myself inadvertently thinking of what next week's issue will contain, though I won't be here to write it. Today it snowed, and within a few days, I'll be kissing the frozen shores of Massachusetts goodbye and head off to far warmer climes, yet I've never really stopped to think about that. I guess that's the byproduct of a busy life. We often don't take the time to focus on what's coming up because we're so entrenched in the now. We worry if we take too much time on what may be, we'll miss what is.

Well, busy or no, my life is about to take a whole new twist. I don't know what's going to happen, but I know myself, Jon, Laurie, Shelley and Doug will have a blast doing it. Next stop, the Philippines!!
Max B.

P.S., as a final parting gift, here's a video of the Filipino National Anthem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTOLBBwgEuc

No comments:

Post a Comment